On this half-day workshop, Ailbhe Keoghan, (co-writer, Run And Jump) and Mark McIlrath (script-editor, Run and Jump) will discuss their development process involved in the feature-length script, Run and Jump. Run and Jump, directed and co-written by Steph Green, had its world premiere at Tribeca Film Festival and won Best Irish Feature at the 2013 Galway Film Fleadh.
Development is now a necessary part of the writing process, especially where money from funding authorities and/or co-production is involved. This discussion aims to enlighten filmmakers to this process and how to navigate it successfully.
Topics covered will include:
- The journey of development
- The do’s and don’ts of development
- Protecting what the story is while being open about how best to tell it.
- Approaching how to develop the character/story/theme issues to make it a more effective emotional experience for an audience
- Looking at a particular scene development scenario from Run and Jump.
Ailbhe Keogan is the author of the novel, Molly & the Cyclops, published by Hag’s Head Press. Her first screenplay, Run and Jump, was directed and produced by Oscar-nominated team, Steph Green and Tamara Anghie in association with Samson Films. The script was selected as one of twelve to take part in the 2010 Berlinale Talent Campus Script Station and as one of only five projects for the Sundance Institute’s June 2010 lab.
Mark McIlrath is a film script editor who works on feature film projects in Ireland, Italy, France and the UK.
Date: Friday, October 4th, 2013. Half Day (10.30am - 1.30pm)
Cost: €20 members/€25 non-members. Places are limited.