Founded in 1970 and edited by faculty, students, and staff from the renowned writing and literature programs at the University of Iowa, The Iowa Review takes advantage of this rich environment for literary collaboration to create a worldwide conversation among those who read and write contemporary literature.
- Select the appropriate genre category. If you’d like to purchase a discounted yearlong subscription to The Iowa Review for $10, please choose a genre marked “(subscription).” Otherwise, choose “(no subscription).”
- Include a cover letter listing your name, address, e-mail address and/or telephone number, and the title of each submitted work. (Please use the “Cover Letter” form field in Submittable; do not include the cover letter as part of your uploaded document.)
- Do not include your name on the manuscript itself.
- Upload your entry. Multiple poems or prose pieces can comprise a single entry if the total number of pages does not exceed 25 for prose or 10 for poetry. For instance, you may submit two short stories of ten pages each as a single entry; the stories would be read and judged separately. But please do not mix genres: a ten-page story and a two-page poem constitute separate entries.
- Pay the $20 entry fee using Paypal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.
- If you submit more than one entry, even within the same genre, you must submit the $20 entry fee with each entry.
- Submit between January 1 and January 31.