Monday 12 May 2008

On MFAs in the US


Have you ever considered an MFA in creative writing in the US? They differ greatly. But here's one interesting thing compared to the MAs on offer in Ireland and the UK. Some of the waive fees. Some of them even give you a stipend. I would think that the money aspect of it would mean that they get a much greater selection of potential writers applying than here, where only those who can afford a year out of the workforce AND the fees apply. Forget it if you have a family.

See this interesting article from The Atlantic.

4 comments:

Padhraig Nolan said...

great article, thanks for the link. Stanford has been my pipedream; Wolff, Boland on Faculty - California dreaming.

Emerging Writer said...

Ioaw, texas for UEA for me

Mr Verne said...

this is a great blog, really helpful info. I am half way through first draft of first novel, and it's hit a gigantic stumbling block in that I think it's absolute cr@p and I shouldn't have given up the day job. I'm wondering if you know of, or could recommend any courses in Dublin that could give me the necessary push? There seems to be a lot of them, so I assume some good, some bad, it's hard to weed out the time wasters. Thanks for your help

Emerging Writer said...

I'd recommend if you've been writing for a while to check with the Irish Writers Centre.