Tuesday 20 May 2008

5 books I'm afraid to re-read


Having read this interesting article, I was thinking about 5 books I'm afraid to re-read, because I loved them so much the first time through.

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.
I was convinced I was fated to marry a monied, older man. And do a better job of it than the somewhat wimpy heroine of this book.

The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles. Also The Magus. Convoluted, self-aware, lush writing.

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. I'm detecting an adolescent thing going on here. I loved the strangeness and warpedness of this book.

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. I'm scared to re-read this. I lapped up the romanticism but will Hemingway's writing and general misogeny get in the way of a good story now?

Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa. I loved the interspersion of a more and more outlandish radio soap opera but maybe I wouldn't like it now.

No comments: