This is a new category in the prestigious Bord Gais Energy Irish Book Awards, the Writing.ie Short Story of the Year Award, and is open to short stories of up to 7,000 words published between 1st Nov 2012 and 31st October 2013 in any of the following contexts:
- a collection of short stories by a single author;
- an anthology of short stories;
- or an established journal or magazine, digital or print, that has been in existence for at least six months within the period of eligibility.
Stories published in Irish must be supplied with an English translation.
The author must be Irish by birth, citizenship or long-term residence.
Stories may only be submitted by the editor of the publication in which the story appears, with full permission of the author, with a maximum of one story per edition or collection. Self published works, at this stage, are not admissible.
Stories should be submitted via the online form here. Closing date for entries is 1st September 2013.
Submissions will be judged anonymously, the long list read by an independent panel of four judges.
- Author and tutor on Trinity College’s MPhil in Creative Writing, Carlo Gebler;
- Director of Dublin City of Literature Jane Alger;
- Author and bookseller Adrian White of Dubray Books
- Writing.ie’s Irish editor Cathal Póirtéir,