Thursday 5 July 2007

Waiting

I have an agent. She is very enthusiastic about my book and sure we will land a publishing deal. I have polished it and taken her suggestions in hand and finished it and emailed it to her. She has sent it out to 4 top of the line, premiership publishers, to editors she knows already. Personal relationships are the key here. And given them a deadline of some kind of a response within 2 to 2 1/2 weeks.

The first one came back. Random House with a negative. The editor couldn't engage with my main protagonist. I'm down in the dumps. This is a senior editor who hasn't got where she is today without knowing what she is talking about. I know I am not the best at showing my character's emotions and emotional characters (the right emotions) are the best for readers to care about so I need to warm her up.

Hum.

No comments: