Monday 27 April 2009

Rejection


I've heard of two people who have won different categories of the Listowel competitions. I've heard nothing so I have to presume I haven't won the Poetry collection prize. Bummer.

And I didn't get shortlisted for the Francis MacManus story on RTE radio with what I must say was a terrific story. I'll have to revisit it. (Actually I haven't read it since I sent it so I'll probably cringe.)

Here are the lucky buggers who got it which include a good few people who already have short story collections published and at least one member of Aosdana. Hearty congratulations to all. Looking forward to listening to them later on in the year.

1. "The Other Side of Nowhere" by Elizabeth Carty, Dunsaney, Co. Meath.

2. "The Body" by John Austin Connolly, Booterstown, Co. Dublin.

3. "African Finch" by Richard Cotter, Carrigline, Co. Cork.

4. "Out of Sight" by Geraldine Creed, Shankill, Dublin 18.

5. "Purgatory" by Paul Duffy, Baldoyle, Co. Dublin.

6. "Molly's Last Performance" by Des Feeney, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford.

7. "Hay" by Ciaran Folan, An Spideal, Co. Na Gaillimhe.

8. "Race" by Andrew Fox, Skerries, Co. Dublin.

9. "Wish You Were" by Anthony Glavin, Whitehall, Dublin 9.

10. "Romance" by Alastair Hadden, Ballinteer, Dublin 16.

11. "Commas and Comas" by Rachel Hegarty, Raheny, Dublin 5.

12. "One In A Million" by Kay Inckle, Basin Street, Dublin 8.

13. "Hired Help" by Fidelma Kelly, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

14. "Ten" by David Keohane, Shannon, Co. Clare.

15. "Thursday Market" by Martin Malone, Kildare Town.

16. "Tipping Point" by Anna May Mangan, Wembley, Middlesex.

17. "An Irishman in Berlin" by David Andrew Mc Ilroy, Brussels.

18. "Centre of Small Hell" by Geraldine Mills, Rosscahill, Co. Galway.

19. "Mare Rubrum" by Helena Mulkerns, Wellingtonbridge, Co. Wexford.

20. "Emperors of Speed" by Mary O'Donnell, Maynooth, Co. Kildare.

21. "Only Four Girls" by Ita Ryan, Cahersiveen, Co. Kerry.

22. "Home Help" by Dolores Walshe, Virginia, Co. Cavan.

4 comments:

Girlhurler said...

Geraldine Creed - I interviewed her for my thesis. She was doing the Creative Writing MA in UCD at the time. And Andrew Fox rings a bell as well - I think he was in Sixteen After Ten, the Trinity MA's anthology.

The thing that annoys me about competitions is if you're not shortlisted, you have no idea how close you came. Whereas publishers, when they reject you, might add a little note saying "This was good, try us again."

Michael Farry said...

I must also presume that I haven't won the poetry collection prize in Listowel.

We published a story by Geraldine Creed in the latest Boyne Berries. She came down to read at the launch.

onasmallisland said...

D@mmit! For some reason I was sure I'd win something in the writers week originals in Listowel this year. Unreasonably sure, of course, based on nothing in particular.

When oh when, etc. Thanks for the heads up

Colm Keegan said...

Interesting mix of writers. Like Eimear, I think a bit of feedback from these type of comps would be good.