Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Novel Writing course


I have this email from the Irish Writers Centre which is usually quite sane but this is madness.

5-day Intensive Creative Writing Course with Carlo GĂ©bler
28 July – 1 August, 10am to 4pm
limited to 10 partipants.

The purpose of the course will be to help those who want to write, advance or finish a novel. By the end of the week, participants will have a much clearer idea of how to advance or finish a complex piece of work.

But here's the sucker punch - 650 Euro.

I mean, what? Who has that sort of money? What do you get out of it? A 2 book deal? I think not. Is Carlo Gebler God, all knowledgable, all powerful, superman type of writer? Does he get undressed in phoneboxes? I think not. What is he going to do that's worth a total of 6,500 Euro?

Or am I misguided. You get what you pay for and all that?

6 comments:

BarbaraS said...

Whoah! I'm wondering if there's some typo in there, like an extra nought?

And the thoughts of Mr. Gebler in a phone box changing outfits - steady on, now! That's an image and a half... ooh, I think I feel a poem coming on...

Ailbhe said...

Yeah, it's got to be a mistake....right? Nobody could teach you enough in that space of time to be worth €650.

podpilot said...

If Carlo Gebler reads one's entire manuscript and the workshop proceeds from that level of interaction with all members it could well be worth it.

Otherwise, no.

KAREN said...

You'd be better off paying for a reputable critique if you must shell out, in my opinion :o)

Poet Bloggs said...

No mistake with the zeros according to their site.

I'd say more but well... what else can I say?!

Emerging Writer said...

What I'd like is for someone who did the course to tell us all about it. Anyone out there?